Knit a little, read a little, watch a little

Monday, August 23, 2004

Mmmm... Fresh Bread

OK, I won't have edible bread until tomorrow. I decided to make brioche, a rich eggy-buttery bread. I've always wanted to try to make it, and finally committed. So I pulled out the KitchenAid, made the dough and put it in a buttered bowl to rise. This is what it looked like when the first rise was finished:


Then, it has to be deflated. Instead of the normal "punching down", you gently lift the dough and it deflates. This is what it looked like after this process:


Not nearly as pretty. Now, it's sitting in the fridge overnight for a nice, slow second rise. Tomorrow, I will shape and bake. Pictures will follow, of course. If you're interested, I'm using the recipe from Baking with Julia by Dorie Greenspan.