Knit a little, read a little, watch a little

Friday, July 16, 2004

Time spent at a knitting shop is time well spent!

Got to go in and knit today. Took cookies with me - the Cookies of the Month (Lemon Poppyseed) from the latest Martha Stewart Living. Well received, let me tell you - but if you make them, LINE THE COOKIE SHEET (or grease, whatever works for you) because they stick. Got a little more work done on Kimono, shot the breeze, scoped out the new Interweave Knits (gee, the Threepenny Pullover would only cost me $250 to make in the listed yarn, instead of the $300 I was estimating.) I think I'm finally getting stitch gauge for Betty (6 mm needles!), but I think the row gauge is off significantly. I might just e-mail the pattern creator and ask if that's going to be a problem.

Plus, since it's inventory time, the yarn store was chucking huge amounts of patterns - mostly of the hideously funny 70s and 80s variety. Some had decent shapes, and could be converted into something much more modern and hip - if I figure out what gauge yarn I need. If not, patterns can be incorporated into others. Hey, for no money, you can't go far wrong! I thought about taking some of the truly hideous ones for the giggle factor, but in the end, I decided that things like fair isle legwarmers (and the matching sweaters) really belong ONLY in the recycle bin.

Waiting for the weekend movies to get here - Les Invasions Barbares (The Barbarian Invasions), Decalage Horaire (Jet Lag), and L'Homme du Train (The Man on the Train.) Yep, it's the all-French, all the time movie weekend at maison Habsgirl (I was going to say casa, but that would be mixing my languages.) I'm excited to be getting Les Invasions Barbares hot off the presses (I've been dying to see it since it came out, but it never played conveniently theatrically, and I'm the only foreign film buff in the family) and Decalage Horaire had been at the top of my list for months (until I moved Invasions up.) This now puts the disks 4 and 6 of Queer as Folk Season One at the top of the list.