Knit a little, read a little, watch a little

Thursday, July 08, 2004

Nothing much...

I spent the evening watching movies and starting Kimono. I watched "21 Grams" and "Ripley's Game." Both are excellent. I had a few problems with "Ripley's Game," as a result of my total adoration of Patricia Highsmith's work. John Malkovich is not my ideal Ripley - not that I'm sure who is for the later Ripley needed for this - but he was a damn sight better than Dennis Hopper (who played the role in Wim Wenders' adaptation, "The American Friend"). The wife was too young, the location was wrong (but it was an Italian production, which necessitated the move, I'm sure). I knew I was nitpicking. Still well worth seeing (although the book is, as is typical, better). If you happened to have seen the trailer, IGNORE IT. It had scenes from the movie, but no actual connection to the film.

I got started on Kimono. The ribbing ended up being a tiny bit shorter row wise than the pattern indicated, but my row gauge wasn't changing a whole lot, so I made a note so that all four quadrants are the same. Here is the picture from the Phildar website of the back of Kimono - the front seems to be a crew neck, although, if the V isn't obscene, I might make the front and back mirror images.



Of course, you need to visualize it in lilac fading to white.... Anyway, it's an easy knit, and will be very pretty (and sexy!) when it's done.

I have been fiddling with the blog, but it seems to take forever for the changes to be made. No big color changes yet, but when I get some time, I will be switching to the bleu, blanc et rouge that is oh-so-appropriate for "Habsgirl" (that would be the colors of my beloved Canadiens!)