Knit a little, read a little, watch a little

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Sock Madness

Yes, actual knitting content! I signed up for Sock Madness II because I wanted the patterns. My competitive nature surfaced, and I have been knitting furiously. Round one was Zombie Socks:

HPIM1019

(Koigu KPPPM in some number purple - details in Ravelry or on request.) I liked these - relatively easy knit, I like the fit, the yarn worked well, etc.

Round Two? Different story. I present Reversai:
HPIM1032

Opal Cotton in 1972. These, I don't like. Some of the reasons are my fault - the yarn is a bad color choice, because it totally obscures the patterning and my gauge is most likely too loose (originally I was using Koigu, but it pooled horribly, and the shop I was at has a limited [but lovely!] selection, and this was the best of the current options). The reversible nature of the pattern doesn't thrill me, mostly because a heel, sole and toe done in garter in the round killed my wrists. It's also a round toe, which I don't like because I have a mostly straight-across set of toes. But, they're done, and if they don't fit Mom, they might just fit Dad.

So, the next couple of days will be knitting free (thankfully, I've got a crochet project on the go which can fill in the gap). Reading has started for the Once Upon a Time challenge (I needed to finish up Nature Girl by Carl Hiaasen and then the new Linda Fairstein came into the local library, so I knocked that off in a couple of days). I'm currently reading Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass, so there should be a review in a few days.

ETA - for the sake of posterity, here are the sources of the quotes in the previous post:
1. Enchanted
2. Funny Face
3. Les Parapluies de Cherbourg (not a terribly quotable movie, since all the dialogue is sung)
4. Heathers
5. Serenity
6. Amelie
7. Beauty and the Beast (Disney version - I also like the Cocteau version)
8. Eastern Promises
9. How to Marry a Millionaire
10. The Doom Generation